Place:


Clitheroe  Lancashire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Clitheroe like this:

Clitheroe, mun. bor., township, and market town, Whalley par., NE. Lancashire, on river Ribble and at foot of Pendle Hill, 10¼ miles NE. of Blackburn, 35 miles N. of Manchester, and 220 miles NW. of London by rail, 2375 ac., pop. 10,176; 2 Banks. Market-day, Tuesday; has extensive cotton and print industries, paper-mills, foundries, and brick and lime works. ...


C. was a bor. by prescription as early as the 11th century. Its castle, dismantled by the Parliamentary forces in 1649, and now a ruin, was founded by the Lacys in the 12th century. The Honor of C., for a long time a part of the Duchy of Lancaster, is now in the possession of the Buccleuch family. The bor. returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Clitheroe through time

Clitheroe is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clitheroe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clitheroe, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/327

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clitheroe ".