Place:


Downham  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Downham like this:

DOWNHAM, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 2 miles NE of Chatburn r. station, and 3 NE of Clitheroe; and has a post office under Blackburn. Acres, 1,870. Real property, £2, 211. Pop., 292. Houses, 70. ...


The chapelry is larger than the township. Pop., 433. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Downham Hall, belongs to the Asshetons. Some of the inhabitants are cotton-spinners. Limestone, of curiously fossiliferous character, is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £129.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £26 from endowment; and other charities £10.

Downham through time

Downham is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Downham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downham, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10124

Date accessed: 24th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Downham ".