Place:


Chatburn  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chatburn like this:

CHATBURN, a township and a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, on the river Ribble, at the terminus of the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, 2½ miles NE of Clitheroe. Acres, 720. Pop., 521. Houses, 111. The chapelry includes also the township of Worston; and its post town is Clitheroe, under Blackburn. ...


Acres, 1, 580. Rated property, £2, 425. Pop., 605. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture and lime-burning are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £165. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was struck by lightning in 1854; and the steeple of it had to be taken down and rebuilt.

Chatburn through time

Chatburn is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chatburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chatburn, in Ribble Valley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10042

Date accessed: 24th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chatburn ".