Place:


Thurnham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurnham like this:

THORNHAM, a parish, with a village, in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 3¾ miles ENE of Maidstone r. station. Post town, Maidstone. Acres, 3,319. Real property, £4,102. Pop., 531. Houses, 110. The manor, with T. Court, belongs to Sir G. F. Hampson, Bart. T. or Godard's Castle crowned a chalk hill; and is of utterly uncertain origin, and now a ruin. ...


Roman urns and other Roman remains have been found in the castle's vicinity. The living is a vicarage, united with Allingham, in the rectory of Canterbury. Value, £392.* Patron, the Rev. E. K. Burney. The church is decorated English, and has been restored. Charities, £30.

Thurnham through time

Thurnham is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thurnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurnham, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6447

Date accessed: 28th January 2023


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thurnham ".