Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOUGHTON (LONG)

HOUGHTON (LONG), a township and a parish in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies on the Northeastern railway and on the coast, 4 miles ENE of Alnwick; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bilton, Northumberland. Acres, 2,847; of which 222 are water. Pop., 491. Houses, 104. The parish contains also the township of Little Houghton and that of Boulmer and Seaton-House. Acres, 4,113. Real property, £5,976. Pop., 777. Houses, 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal, limestone, and lead ore are found. Boulmer bay and Ratcheugh crag are here; and the latter commands an extensive coast view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £162.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient but good; and has a massive tower, with walls of great thickness, and with some early Norman windows. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Longhoughton Ch/AP/CP       Alnwick PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place names: HOUGHTON     |     HOUGHTON LONG     |     LONG HOUGHTON
Place: Longhoughton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.