Place:


Longhoughton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longhoughton like this:

HOUGHTON (LONG), a township and a parish in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies on the Northeastern railway and on the coast, 4 miles ENE of Alnwick; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bilton, Northumberland. Acres, 2,847; of which 222 are water. Pop., 491. ...


Houses, 104. The parish contains also the township of Little Houghton and that of Boulmer and Seaton-House. Acres, 4,113. Real property, £5,976. Pop., 777. Houses, 154. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal, limestone, and lead ore are found. Boulmer bay and Ratcheugh crag are here; and the latter commands an extensive coast view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £162.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient but good; and has a massive tower, with walls of great thickness, and with some early Norman windows. There is a national school.

Longhoughton through time

Longhoughton is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longhoughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longhoughton, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9453

Date accessed: 02nd December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longhoughton ".