Place:


Garsington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garsington like this:

GARSINGTON, a village and a parish in Headington district, Oxford. The village stands 3 miles E of the Thames, 4½ NE of Culham r. station, and 5 SE of Oxford; is a pretty place, with some curious old houses: and has a post office under Oxford. The parish comprises 2, 230 acres. Real pro perty, £3, 396. ...


Pop., 643-Houses, 135. The property is subdivided. The manor was formerly held by the De la Mares. A house was built here by Sir Thomas Pope, the founder of Trinity College, as a residence for the students of that college in times of plague; and was, at two periods, occupied by them. the living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £482.* Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is ancient but very good; has some interesting features of decorated English; and contains a screen, with the arms of Sir Thomas Pope. Charities, £4.

Garsington through time

Garsington is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garsington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garsington in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9693

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garsington ".