Place:


Shilbottle  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shilbottle like this:

SHILBOTTLE, a township and a parish, in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies 2½ miles SW of Bilton-Junction r. station, and 3½ SSE of Alnwick; and has a post-office under Alnwick. Acres, 2,935. Pop., 570. Houses, 115. The parish includes five other townships, and comprises 7,704 acres. ...


Real property, £6,355; of which £963 are in mines, and £130 in quarries. Pop., 1,267. Houses, 252. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in htlie diocese of Durham. Value, £222.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was repaired in 1793. There are an endowed school with £13 a year, and charities £9.

Shilbottle through time

Shilbottle is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shilbottle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shilbottle, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9664

Date accessed: 02nd December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shilbottle ".