Place:


Lowick  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowick like this:

LOWICK, a village and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The village stands 4 miles WSW of Beal r. station, and 7 NW of Belford; is a long and Straggling place, of late years greatly improved; and has a post office under Beal, Northumberland. The parish contains also the villages of Barmoor, Bowsdon, and Holburn, and the hamlet of Laverick-Law. ...


Acres, 12,526. Real property, £13,192; of which £1,090 are in mines, and £1,600 in quarries. Pop., 1,946. Houses, 385. The property is divided among a few. Barmoor Castle is a chief residence. Coal-mining, stone-quarrying, lime-burning, and the making of bricks and drainpipes are carried on. Numerous interesting fossils have been found in the limestone; and a collection of them has been deposited in the Woodwardian museum in Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was rebuilt towards the end of last century; and has a good E window, and a memorial window to the Gregson family. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £4.

Lowick through time

Lowick is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowick, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9464

Date accessed: 02nd December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowick ".