Place:


Lesbury  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lesbury like this:

LESBURY, a village, a township, and a parish in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Alne, ½ a mile N of Bilton r. station, and 3½ E by S of Alnwick; and has a neat stone bridge over the Alne. The township contains also the hamlets of Bilton, Hawkhill, and Worden; the first of which has a head post office, designated Bilton, Northumberland. ...


Acres, 2,045; of which 392 are water. Pop., 750. Houses, 153. The parish includes also the township of Alnmouth, which has a post office under Bilton. Acres of the parish, 2,624. Real property, £7,271; of which £18 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,202. Houses, 253. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. There are a large corn-mill, a large timber-yard, and a slates-depot, from which considerable quantities of slates are shipped. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £269.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, was restored in 1846, and has a tower. There are an Established place of worship at Alnmouth, a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school.

Lesbury through time

Lesbury is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lesbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lesbury, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9436

Date accessed: 02nd December 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lesbury ".