Place:


Great Oakley  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Oakley like this:

OAKLEY (Great), a village and a parish in Kettering district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2½ miles N N E of Rushton r.station, and 5 N of Kettering; and has a letter-box under Kettering. The parish comprises 2, 810 acres. Real property, £2, 832. ...


Pop., 195. Houses, 42. The manor belongs to Sir W. de Capell Brooke, Bart. Great Oakley Hall is the seat of Col. T. H. Pearson. The parish is a meet for the Patchly hounds. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £50. Patron, Sir W. deBrooke, Bart. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower.

Great Oakley through time

Great Oakley is now part of Corby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Corby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Oakley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Oakley, in Corby and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8108

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Oakley ".