Place:


Great Bromley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Bromley like this:

BROMLEY (Great), a village and a parish in Tendring district, Essex. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Ardleigh r. station, and 5½ E of Colchester; has a post office under Manningtree; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 2,956 acres. Real property, £5,504. Pop., 758. Houses, 175. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £698.* Patron, W. Graham, Esq. The church has a brass of 1432, and is good. Charities, £34.

Great Bromley through time

Great Bromley is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Bromley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Bromley, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6555

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Bromley".