Sundridge  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sundridge like this:

SUNDRIDGE, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands 3¼ miles WSW of Sevenoaks r. station; has a post-office under Sevenoaks; and gives the title of Baron to the Duke of Argyle. The parish contains Sevenoaks workhouse, includes most of Idehill chapelry, and comprises 4,041 acres. ...

Real property, £6,705. Pop. in 1851, 1,642: in 1861, 1,495,- of whom 25 were in the workhouse. Houses, 251. The manor belongs to Lord Amherst. There are several good residences and a paper mill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £815.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is mainly later English. The churchyard contains the tomb of Bishop Porteus. There are a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and charities £7.

Sundridge through time

Sundridge is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sundridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sundridge, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th June 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sundridge ".