Place:


East Peckham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Peckham like this:

PECKHAM (East), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Malling district, Kent. The village stands 1¾mile N W of Yalding r. station, and 5¾ N E by E of Tunbridge; is a straggling place; and has a post-office under Tunbridge. The parish comprises 3, 358 acres. Real property, £13,027. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2, 254; in 1861, 2, 341. Houses, 466. The property is much subdivided. Roydon Hall was formerly the seat of the Twysdens, and is now the seat of W. Cook, Esq. There are a large seed-crushing mill and a large tannery. A section, with a pop. of 1, 918 in 1861, was constituted a parochial district, under the name of The Holy Trinity, in 1843. Both the head living and that of Trinity are vicaragesin the diocese of Canterbury. Value of the former, £750; * of the latter, £300.* Patrons of the former, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury; of the latter, the Vicar of East Peckham. The parochial church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, S aisle, chancel, and private chapel, with a tower. Trinity church was built in 1842; and is a neat edifice, with a bell-turret. There are chapels for Calvinists and Wesleyans, and a national school.—The sub-district contains alsofive other parishes. Acres, 12,007. Pop., 7, 554. Houses, 1, 438.

East Peckham through time

East Peckham is now part of Tonbridge and Malling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tonbridge and Malling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Peckham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Peckham, in Tonbridge and Malling and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6312

Date accessed: 28th November 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Peckham ".