Place:


Otterden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Otterden like this:

OTTERDEN, a parish, with a village, in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 2 miles S S W of Eastling, and 6½ S W by S of Faversham r. station. Post-town, Eastling, under Faversham. Acres, 1, 434. Real property, £1, 460. Pop., 194. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the ins and the Curteises; and, with Otterden Place, belongs now to the Rev.Wheeler. ...


O. Place is a pretty mansion, partly of the time of Henry VIII.; was the scene of ex.periments, allied to those of Dr. Franklin, leading to the identification of lightning with electricity; and commands fine views over the wooded country toward Faversham, with distant glimpses of the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £307.* Patron, the Rev. W. A. Paxton. The church was re-built in 1753; is an elegant structure of brick and stone; and contains some 17th century monuments of the Lewins and the Curteises. Charities, £10 and alms-houses.

Otterden through time

Otterden is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Otterden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otterden, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6308

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Otterden ".