Place:


Otham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Otham like this:

OTHAM, a village and a parish in Maidstone district, Kent. The village stands near the river Len, 2½ miles E S E of Maidstone r. station; is called Otham-street; and has a postal letter-box under Maidstone. The parish comprises 947 acres. Real property, £2, 782 Pop. in 1851, 357; in 1861, 294. ...


Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Romney. Hops and fruit are largely grown. The river Len traverses the parish, expands into considerable sheets of water, and turns extensive paper-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £412.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church includes Norman portions; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with tower and small spire; was restored in 1865, at a cost ofabout £1,000; and contains several curious monuments of the Floods and others. There are a parochial schooland some charities. Bishop Horne was a native, and hisfather was rector.

Otham through time

Otham is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Otham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otham, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6307

Date accessed: 17th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Otham".