Place:


Offham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Offham like this:

OFFHAM, a village and a parish in Malling district, Kent. The village stands at the N skirt of Mereworthwoods, adjacent to the Otford and Maidstone railway, 1½mile W of West Malling and 6½ W N W of Maidstone; and has a post-office under Maidstone. Offham Greenlong had an ancient quintain, which the lord of the manor was said to be obliged to keep in repair; but only the upright post of it is now to be seen. ...


The parish comprises 707 acres. Real property, £2, 163. Pop., 411. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The manor-house is the residence of T. H. Hutchinson, Esq. Upwards of 200 acres are under hops. There is a Danish camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £259.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, chiefly early English, all in good condition; and has a tower. There is a village school. Jack Straw was a native.

Offham through time

Offham is now part of Tonbridge and Malling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tonbridge and Malling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Offham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Offham, in Tonbridge and Malling and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6302

Date accessed: 28th November 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Offham ".