Place:


Bredgar  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bredgar like this:

BREDGAR, a parish in Milton district, Kent; among the chalk hills, 3 miles SSW of Sittingbourne r. station. It has a post office under Sittingbourne. Acres, 1,727. Real property, £3,876. Pop., 547. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. Bredgar House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. ...


Value, £180.* Patron, Sir E. Dering, Bart. The church is perpendicular English with a curious Norman doorway under the tower; has Roman bricks in its walls; contains a brass of 1508; and is in good condition. A chantry or small college was founded in it, in the time of Richard II., by Robert de Bredgar. There are a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1869, and charities £28.

Bredgar through time

Bredgar is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bredgar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bredgar, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6025

Date accessed: 03rd October 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bredgar ".