Place:


Bicknor  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bicknor like this:

BICKNOR,-anciently Bykenore-a parish in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 3¾ miles SSW of Sittingbourne r. station, and 7 ENE of Maidstone. Post Town, Stockbury, under Sittingbourne. Acres, 631. Real property, £653. Pop., 53. Houses, 8. The property is divided. Bicknor Place is the seat of T. Whitehead, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £115. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is small, and very early Norman.

Bicknor through time

Bicknor is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bicknor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bicknor, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6024

Date accessed: 03rd October 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bicknor ".