Ladock  Cornwall


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ladock like this:

LADOCK, or Lassick, a parish, containing the village of Besock, in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Ladock, in a fine valley, 2½ miles W by S of Grampound-Road r. station, and 7 NE of Truro; and has a post-office, of the name of Ladock, under Grampound-Road, and a cattle-fair on 13 May. ...

The parish comprises 5,691 acres. Real property, £4,320. Pop. in 1851,811; in 1861, 742. Houses, 169. The decrease of pop. arose partly from the closing of a large lead mine. The manor belonged formerly to the Pitts. Nansaugh is a chief residence. Large quantities of tin were long ago produced; iron ore, of superior quality, is sent hence to Swansea; and some comparatively large pieces of gold have been found. The parish is a meet for the Four Burrow hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £767.* Patron, Dr. Wise. The church stands on an eminence above Besock village; was recently restored, at a cost of £2,000; and has a fine E stained window, and a beautifully proportioned tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed national school.

Ladock through time

Ladock is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ladock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ladock, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 15th July 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ladock".