Kemsing  Kent


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kemsing like this:

KEMSING, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands 2½ miles NE of Sevenoaks r. station; was once a market town; and has a postoffice under Sevenoaks. The parish comprises 1,867 acres. Real property, £2, 505; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 366. ...

Houses, 79. A castle was here before the time of Henry II., but has disappeared. A line of chalk hills extends E and W, a little N of the village; and is traversed by the ancient trackway, called the Pilgrims' Road. A spring, designated St. Edith's well, is near the centre of the village; an effigies of St. Edith is in the churchyard; and both the well and the effigies were long held in superstitions veneration. St. Edith is said to have been a native. Hops are largely grown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400. Patron, Countess Delawarr. The church comprises nave and chancel, with shingle tower; and has a very patched character. The p. curacy of Seal is a separate benefice. There is a national school.

Kemsing through time

Kemsing is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kemsing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kemsing, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kemsing".