Place:


Egerton  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egerton like this:

EGERTON, a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent. The village stands on the verge of the Weald, 2¾ miles N of Pluckley r. station, and 7½ WNW of Ashford; and has a post office‡ under Ashford, and a fair on 5 Aug. The parish comprises 2, 780 acres. Real property, £3, 682. Pop., 816. Houses, 148. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £111. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church has a conspicuous tower, and is good. There is a Baptist chapel.

Egerton through time

Egerton is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egerton, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2492

Date accessed: 03rd October 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egerton ".