Place:


Pennenden Heath  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pennenden Heath like this:

PENNENDEN-HEATH, a common in Maidstone parish, Kent; 1½ mile N E of Maidstone. It was a place of great Saxon meetings long before the Norman conquest; was the place of the famous assembly, in 1076, atwhich Archbishop Lanfranc pleaded the cause of his church against Odo de Bayeux, Earl of Kent; is the place at which county meetings have been held for centuries; and has a county hall, a small building of someantiquity.

Additional information about this locality is available for Maidstone

Pennenden Heath through time

Pennenden Heath is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pennenden Heath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pennenden Heath, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24519

Date accessed: 12th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pennenden Heath".