Place:


Harrietsham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harrietsham like this:

HARRIETSHAM, a village and a parish in Hollingbourn district, Kent. The village stands at the foot of the chalk hills, on the river Len, 6 miles NNE of Headcorn r. station, and 7 E by S of Maidstone; was known at Domesday as Hariardesham; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Maidstone, and a fair on 24 June. ...


The parish comprises 2,464 acres. Real property, £3,499. Pop., 624. Houses, 145. The manor belongs to W. W. T. Baldwin, Esq. Stede Hill is the seat of Mr. Baldwin, and commands a noble view over the weald. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £550. * Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The church is early and later English, with a tower; was recently restored; and contains a remarkable font, and monuments of the Baldwins. There are an endowed school, a suite of alms-houses, and other charities, £21.

Harrietsham through time

Harrietsham is now part of Maidstone district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maidstone has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harrietsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harrietsham, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2073

Date accessed: 03rd October 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harrietsham ".