Place:


Depwade  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Depwade like this:

DEPWADE, a district and a hundred in Norfolk. The district extends 17 miles along the Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, around Diss and Harleston; goes 14 miles northward, to the vicinity of Wymondham; is traversed, through the centre, by the Norwich railway: and comprehends the sub-districts of Harleston, Diss, Stratton, and Forncett. ...


The sub-district of Harleston contains the parishes of Earsham, Denton, Alburgh, Wortwell, Redenhall, Starston, Needham, Brockdish, Thorpe-Abbots, and Rushall; that of Diss, the parishes of Dickleburgh, Thelveton, Billingford, Scole, Thorpe-Parva, Frenze, Diss, Burston, Shimpling, Gissing, Tivets-hall-St. Mary, and Tivetshall-St. Margaret; that of Stratton, the parishes of Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene, Pulham-St. Mary-the-Virgin, Hardwick, Shelton, Morningthorpe, Fritton, Hempnall, Tasburgh, Tharston, Stratton-St. Michael, Stratton-St. Mary, and Wacton; and that of Forncett, the parishes of Great Moulton, Aslacton, Forncett-St. Peter, Forncett-St. Mary, Hapton, Ash-wellthorpe, Fundenhall, Tacolnestone, Bunwell, Carleton-Rode, and Tibenham. Acres of the district, 72, 681. Poor-rates, in 1862, £15, 664. Pop., in 1841, 25, 589; in 1861, 25, 248. Houses, 5, 543. Marriages, in 1860, 178; births, 803, -of which 80 were illegitimate; deaths, 523, -of which 180 were at ages under 5 years, and 37 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60. 1, 752; births, 8, 240; deaths, 5, 047. The places of worship in 1851 were 44 of the Church of England, with 10, 771 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 1, 590 s.; 10 of Baptists, with 1,850 s.; 3 of Quakers, with 700 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 380 s.; 10 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,886 s.; 13 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 227 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 60 s. The schools were 30 public day schools, with 2, 135 scholars; 47 private day schools, with 894 s.; 51 Sunday schools, with 3, 091 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 39 s. The workhouse is in Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene. -The hundred comprises only the northern part of the district; and contains twenty-three parishes. Acres, 31, 867. Pop., 9, 617. Houses, 2, 129.

Depwade through time

Depwade is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Depwade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Depwade in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20136

Date accessed: 05th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Depwade ".