Place:


Wigtoft  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wigtoft like this:

WIGTOFT, a parish, with two hamlets, in Boston district, Lincoln; 2 miles WNW of Algarkirk r. station, and 6½ SW of Boston. Post town, Spalding. Acres, 3,300. Real property, £7,812. Pop., 732. Houses, 129. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with Quadring, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £412.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church includes Norman, early English, and later English portions, and is good. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £57 a year, and several charities.

Wigtoft through time

Wigtoft is now part of Boston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Boston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wigtoft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigtoft, in Boston and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14086

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wigtoft ".