Place:


Upton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton like this:

UPTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Tiverton and county of Somerset; 4½ miles ENE of Dulverton, and 12 N by E of Tiverton r. station. It has a post-office under Wiveliscombe. Acres, 3,779. Real property, £3,095. Pop., 314. Houses, 71. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carnarvon. Venn House is the seat ofW. Blake, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £70. Patron, J. Bere, Esq. The church is old, but has a recent tower.

Upton through time

Upton is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13363

Date accessed: 15th July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upton".