Place:


Flixton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flixton like this:

FLIXTON, a township and a parish in Barton-upon-Irwell district, Lancashire. The township lies in the peninsula between the rivers Irwell and Mersey, 3½ miles SSE of Barton-Moss r. station, and 7 WSW of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1, 575. Real property, £6, 966. ...


Pop., 1, 302. Houses, 251. The parish includes also the township of Urmston. Acres, 2, 549. Real property, £11, 477. Pop., 2, 050. Houses, 409. The property is subdivided. Flixton Hall is the seat of the Wright family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is good; and there were placed in it, in 1859, two memorial windows of Mr Thomas Rogers and of the Wright family. The vicarage of Urmston is a separate charge, constituted in 1868. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £11.

Flixton through time

Flixton is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flixton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flixton, in Trafford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10226

Date accessed: 05th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flixton ".