Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BLEA TARN

BLEA TARN, a hamlet and a lakelet in Warcop parish, Westmoreland. The hamlet lies on the E side of Patterdale, 6 miles NNE of Ambleside. The manor was given, in the time of Henry II., by John Tailbois, to Byland Abbey in Yorkshire; and a cell to that Abbey was built on it. The lakelet lies high, and sends a streamlet, jointly with that from Angle tarn, to the head of Ulleswater.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a lakelet"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Warcop AP/CP       Westmorland AncC
Place: Bleatarn

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.